CBD is a cannabis compound that is gaining popularity for its medicinal benefits. Does the compound help people struggling with sleep issues? Can it be used as an insomnia treatment? Read on for the answers.
What Is Insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder where you struggle to get sleep. Insomnia could be acute or chronic. Acute insomnia could last a night or a few weeks. Chronic insomnia happens at least 3 nights a week for a period of 3 months or more.
What Causes Insomnia?
Insomnia could be caused by many factors. Some of the common factors leading to insomnia are:
- Stress caused by major events.
- Factors like noise and temperature in your living environment.
- Changes in sleep schedule due to a new shift at work, jet lag, or some other reason.
Research On CBD And Sleep
In addition to the factors discussed in the above paragraph, many other factors could cause insomnia. Anxiety and pain are two conditions that could cause insomnia.
Some research has suggested that CBD helps with treating anxiety. A 2019 study involving 72 subjects, with 25 of them struggling with sleep issues and 47 of them experiencing anxiety found that CBD helps reduce anxiety and improve sleep. The subjects were given 25 milligrams of CBD on a daily basis. Significant progress was reported in the first month itself.
Pain is another factor that causes poor sleep. CBD is an effective analgesic that helps handle acute and chronic pain effectively. Thus it may be useful in addressing the sleep issues caused by pain.
Grogginess is a symptom of insomnia. CBD could help handle it as the compound is known for promoting wakefulness in the users.
What CBD Products To Use For Sleep?
The CBD category is quite wide. You have a whole lot of options to choose from while using CBD to promote sleep. Some of them are:
- CBD oil: This is one of the most popular CBD products, CBD oil is highly potent.
- CBD tincture: It is made by infusing CBD extract in alcohol.
- CBD edibles: The category has several options like gummies, brownies, chocolate, and more.
- CBD capsules: They are well-known for their ease of dosing.
The effects of CBD vary from person to person according to their body chemistry, body weight, and more. This should be considered while using CBD to get sleep.